Monday, March 1, 2021

More of the same

News blues…

US CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky warns the latest COVID-19 data could spell trouble: “At this level of cases with variants spreading, we stand to completely lose the hard-earned ground we have gained….” 
***
There are around two million traditional healers in Sub-Saharan Africa of which more than 200,000 live and work in SA.
Traditional healers are frequently exposed to bloodborne pathogens such as hepatitis B and HIV. In particular, they are exposed through the widespread practice of traditional “injections” by incision. This is when the healer makes small cuts in a patient’s skin using a razor blade to rub herbs directly into the bloodied tissue with their bare hands. They are also exposed to airborne pathogens such as Covid-19 and tuberculosis (TB) when treating patients.
research in a rural South African town found that traditional healers are open to using gloves and masks, and many regularly do so. But they do not have access to formal training in putting on, taking off, and disposing of personal protective equipment. They also don’t have regular access to government-funded gloves or masks. Leaving aside any question about the efficacy of traditional methods for diagnosis and treatment, traditional healers should be made as safe as possible. 
***
Tracking Covid-19 vaccinations worldwide 

Healthy planet, anyone?

There is a marked divide in the state of the world’s forests. In most rich countries, across Europe, North America and East Asia, forest cover is increasing, whilst many low-to-middle income countries it’s decreasing.
But, it would be wrong to think that the only impact rich countries have on global forests is through changes in their domestic forests. They also contribute to global deforestation through the foods they import from poorer countries.
Today, most deforestation occurs in the tropics. 71% of this is driven by demand in domestic markets, and the remaining 29% for the production of products that are traded. 40% of traded deforestation ends up in high-income countries, meaning they are responsible for 12% of deforestation.
How much do people in rich countries contribute to deforestation overseas? 
***
In appreciation of our world and its amazing creatures: Cyclotron physicist outdone by persistent squirrel. (11:31 mins)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Another example of the vast gulf between my understanding of good business practices and South African business practices:
I received the March invoice for my mother’s board and lodging at the Care Center. With no heads up, no indication at all, her monthly rate increased by more than R3,500 plus R1,777 VAT (tax). This does not include her miscellaneous expenses – hair salon (I wasn’t aware she was going to the hair salon, but okay…) and medical supplies, etc.)
I emailed the Matron asking if it was normal practice to increase the rate without any warning, especially in light of “us” having to give 30 days notice in event of departing the residence. Does it not work both ways? I fear not. We shall see. Naturally, I’ll pay the increase. After all, my mother is a captive audience.
***
The jokes on me: yesterday’s post  highlighted my emotional and psychological dependence on my cell phone and by association, on my battery charger. The irony? When I drove to my other home to pick up the battery charger I’d inadvertently left there, I left behind my laptop. This meant making a second trip back.
Am I just getting old? Or is lockdown getting to me and making me lose my marbles?
***
While picking up my phone charger, Winnie - a supervisor with the landscaping company that services the community – knocked on my door.
Last week, I’d introduced myself to Winnie and asked if her company might be interested in hiring our gardener (after we sell the house). She was interested enough to remember my address and, today, turned up to talk further about hiring him.
Since my Zulu is as elementary as Winnie’s English, I’ve asked a friend who is fluent in Zulu to ensure communication is clear.
***
The curse of the culverts, cont’d: Intense irritation about the continuing delay – after years! - in clearing two blocked culverts had me writing both another letter with photographs to Public Works and and an article for the local print newspaper. (Background – updated this week  and last month)
I’d recently acquired the name and phone number of the man in charge of the project and I called him. Mr. Biyela was pleasant on the phone and agreed to send “someone” to clear the culverts “today.”
Oh, joy!
I put aside the writing – I can come back to it, if needed.
An hour later, someone from Mr. Biyela office left a “missed call” on my phone. I called back. That person, a woman, no name given, said she was “too busy” to talk to me. I called back later. She was “in a meeting” and would call later.
I’m still waiting for her call.
Several back hoes and grader passed the house during the day. None stopped at the culverts.
Today, I texted Mr. Biyela to let me know when to expect the culverts cleared.
So far, no response.
Back to the writing desk?
***
Obsession: Tracking the sun’s rising and setting schedule:
Feb 26: sunrise 5:47am; sunset 6:33pm.
Feb 27: sunrise 5:48am; sunset 6:32pm.
Feb 28: sunrise 5:49am; sunset 6:31pm.
March 1: data missing due to failed battery on iPhone 6SE. (Curse you, Apple! LOL!) 
March 2: sunrise 5:50am; sunset 6:29pm.

No comments: