Sunday, January 24, 2021

Uncharted territory

The death of shame (2:54 mins)

News blues…

***
Right wing conspiracy theory and propaganda continues: 
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) attracted attention last week when he said in a floor speech that former President Donald Trump “bears responsibility” for the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. But since then, he has seemed to walk back his criticism.
On Thursday, he told reporters that he didn’t actually believe Trump had “provoked” the mob of his supporters.
In an interview airing Sunday on Gray Television’s “Full Court Press With Greta Van Susteren,” McCarthy insisted he wasn’t changing his tune. “No, I have not changed in that,” he said.
He stood by his assertion that Trump does bear some responsibility for what happened. But, he added, so does every other person around the country. “I also think everybody across this country has some responsibility,” he said.
McCarthy then started pointing to Democrats who opposed Trump, Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), people who are rude on social media and law enforcement authorities who didn’t prepare for the attack as some of the people who were somehow responsible.
With this kind of claptrap emanating from Congress, what, you many wonder, is the long-term prognosis for the American Experiment in Democracy?
Not good.

On the other hand, we see new ways of thinking among American youth. We the People need to listen to youthful voices speaking for a more equitable future for all. 
***
An inevitable outcome of America’s gun-crazy culture? A Republican member of tries to carry a gun onto the House floor:  (4:58 mins)
***
Steve Schmidt, co-founder The Lincoln Project, Congressman “Rand Paul has “soiled his oath”  (5:30 mins)

Healthy planet, anyone?

Clothes washing linked to ‘pervasive’ plastic pollution in the Arctic 
© Red crabs on Christmas Island climb
a bridge designed for their protection. 

Photograph: Chris Bray Photography/Swell Lodge

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

My new posting schedule is awkward but necessary as I segue into my new life and new home with my new wireless connection – and visiting my mother each day.
She’s dying.
It is … well, expected, but outlandish…
How can my mother die?
Preposterous. But true.


My mother’s dominance over my “family of origin” ensured the trickle down of her predominant ideology: “everything-is-fine”; don’t make waves – unless you’re angry, then make tsunamis; resistance to an action or idea means “you’re just jealous”; females, lesser beings than males, are inherently untrustworthy; positive reinforcement is unnecessary, indeed, “spoils” a child….
This meant touching, hugging, and expressing affection has not been part of my relationship with my mother although she and my brother always meet and depart with a kiss.
Given this history, I was apprehensive about visiting her in the Care Center each day.
Thinking she’d like Kipling’s classic, The Jungle Book I downloaded it onto my cell phone to read to her.
She’d nodded agreement about this plan, and I began. Five minutes later, she mumbled question about why I was reading about a wolf family: did I think she was a child?
I put the story aside.
I scanned through her CDs and found Nat King Cole. It wouldn’t play. I found Bing Crosby. That wouldn’t play either. Dean Martin’s 40 favorite hits played, and she indicated she enjoyed hearing it.
Huh. Maybe she and I could find common ground in simple enjoyments.
I showed her pictures of her grand- and great-grandchildren, told her my brother was “fine,” reported on the dogs and their wellbeing… Teatime rolled around and I urged sips of liquid through a syringe; antipathy to drinking water leads to her dehydration, but she can’t sit upright to drink from a cup. Her musculature is kaput.
My first try led her to choke and I had to shout to the staff for help.
On departing, I stroked my mother’s head, patted her hands and thigh, told her I’d be back tomorrow.
Arriving home, I messaged my brother and his kids: gran is in bad shape, please, please send photos and anecdotes I can share with her.
Today, I’ll lie next to her on her bed and share what they sent.
I’m in uncharted territory.
It’s heartbreaking.
***
The gardener called me late yesterday to report he’d not be at work on Monday as he’s “very sick. I don’t know what’s wrong,” he said.
He works for a neighboring friend on a Wednesday and she reported he wasn’t well that day.
He’s a family man with a wife and two young children and an all-round good guy. Send him your best vibes, prayers, and wishes….


No comments: