Thursday, January 21, 2021

New connections

Make Americans Feel Great Again! (MAFGA?)
“Goodbye Donald Trump”  (1:35 mins, more than 2.5 million views so far!)

Wow! True American Amanda Gorman, National Youth Poet League – reads her wonderful poem at Biden/Harris inauguration. (5:50 mins) and interviews with CNN’s Anderson Cooper…  (10:51 mins)
Amanda’s mantra that she recites to herself anytime she’s about to perform in public:
     I’m the daughter to black writers
     We’re descended from freedom fighters
     Who broke their chains
     And changed the world.
     They call me.

And let’s remember the costs-to-date of reaching this still-far-off Promised Land  (1:32 mins)

News blues…

Reality check in South Africa.
(c) Zapiro

Reality check in US:
Ah, unity schumity – who needs it anyway? 
The good news? Chief Medical Adviser Anthony Fauci's in charge....  
***
The Lincoln Project:
Moving day  (1:09 mins)
Dawn  (2:15 mins)
Morning in America  (0:55 mins)
Trump’s Legacy (1:54 mins)
Meidas Touch: Goodbye, Donnie  (1:04 mins)

Healthy planet, anyone?

From Keystone XL to Paris Agreement, Joe Biden signals a shift away from fossil fuels:
On his first day in the White House, Biden took a series of executive actions that put an exclamation point on his commitment to address climate change. Biden immediately moved to rejoin the Paris Agreement on climate change, revoke a permit that former President Donald Trump granted to the controversial Keystone XL pipeline and place a temporary moratorium on oil and gas leasing in the Arctic.
…"The era of supporting fossil fuels, even as a temporary bridge to a clean future, is over," said Bob McNally, president of consulting firm Rapidan Energy Group. "The United States has shifted from all-of-the-above to accelerated decarbonization."
Well, let’s hope Bob McNally is correct. Actually “shifting” from fossil fuels to “decarbonization” won’t be easy. For one thing, change is hard for human. Moreover, what to do with all the toxics in your increasingly popular, considered “renewable” basic battery? Toxics include acid, lead, nickel, lithium, cadmium, alkaline, mercury and nickel metal hydride ... leaking and contaminating soil and water along with accumulating in wildlife and humans. Plus, the expense… 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

My new Internet connection at my new place went into effect today.
Initially, the install was scheduled for 12:30pm. At 9:30am, the installer called to ask for an earlier install. I agreed; that freed up my afternoon.
My online connections become more complicated for the foreseeable future. I will finish up service from one (expensive) ISP and start service (way cheaper and 4 times as much data) in my new location. But I’ll be without wireless at my mother’s house – and that means without phone connection – for weeks. Can I resist buying more data from the expensive ISP? Enquiring minds wanna know….
I’m anxious about losing phone connection and easy access, but looking forward
***
As January draws to a close, my optimism rises. Not only is Trump et al off the airwaves 24/7, I’m closer to the conclusion of the 3-month sole mandate on my mother’s property.
A sole mandate is a contract to protect realtors’ interest: any commission deriving from a sale, whether or not the realtor showed the property, goes to the realtor.
No sole mandate means any realtor can show/sell the place and receive the commission. Or no realtor required to sell a property; seller/buyer can work directly with conveyancer/title company.
IMHO, the realtors serving this property have been the opposite of pro-active. In 3 months, not a single person has shown interest in even looking at the property.
True, the pandemic dampens enthusiasm and jobs and money are scarce.
Also true, I’m more familiar with California/San Francisco Bay Area real estate where, from the moment a reasonably priced property appears on the market, it garners requests to view. Bidding wars are the norm between competing buyers and properties frequently sell far above the asking price.
Throttling back expectations for the SA has been difficult.
The sooner I sell this property, the sooner my mother gets the money in her bank, the sooner I can return to California to see my family and friends… and my houseboat.



No comments: