Saturday, January 23, 2021

Payback

News blues…

Don’t worry, be happy?
Health minister Dr Zweli Mkhize said on Friday night that there was “promising evidence” that the Covid-19 second wave was on the decline. 
Mkhize said on Friday that 11,761 new cases were confirmed in the past 24 hours — but this was at a positivity rate of 19%, significantly lower than the positivity rate from the height of the second wave of infections over the past month.
For skeptical South Africans sick of the corruption and lies at the heart of the troubles in this country, I suggest a more apt phrase: “Show me the money!”
***
In the US, the incoming administration usually begins to enact its “agenda” within the first 100 days, aka “the honeymoon period.” After that, the gloves come off and opposition begins in earnest. 
Joe Biden’s “honeymoon” period lasted less than 12 hours. So much for “unity”.
Corruption and lies show up in the US system, too. Republican efforts to coldcock the honeymoon period include:
***
A rose by any other name?
Is the phrase “domestic violent extremism” the new term evolving to avoid the politics of “domestic terrorism” yet capitalize on cultural disdain for “domestic violence”? 

***
The Lincoln Project: You had it all, Josh  (0:55 mins)

Healthy planet, anyone?

A million young people urge governments to prioritize climate crisis. …
Coalition quietly adds fossil fuel industry leaders to emissions reduction panel 
Shark tourism and conservation off the coast of South Africa – a photo essay 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Yesterday, permitted into the Care Center for the first time since my mother’s fall and subsequent surgery, I was shocked at what I found.
Instead of my proud 87-year-old mother, an ancient, drooling gnome-like figure squirmed in a Lazi-boy armchair. Her head lolled on her chest as I tried to squirt tea into her mouth using a syringe. Nor could I understand the few mumbled words she uttered.
When I met her one open eye, however, I saw my mother inside that physical wreck. She appeared trapped in a useless body, unable to escape.
I’m not easily shocked, but….
I went to the matron for answers. It was, after all, the matron – not my mother’s doctor – who alerted me to something “off” about my mother’s condition. We talked. I sought names of doctors I could ask for second opinions, and then I set to work.
It’s not easy to find busy doctors who will agree to same-day appointments. One well-respected doctor had no open appointments until March 24. I emailed her “… MY MOTHER WILL BE DEAD BY MARCH 24….” Perhaps that phrase stimulated her admin to return my call? We agreed that doctor would work with the doctor I solicited for a second opinion to review my mother’s prescription drugs of the last several months. It’s my (non-medical) opinion that her regular doctor’s back-and-forth decisions on prescription precipitated her decline.
I met the new doctor before he examined my mother and spoke to him afterwards. He concurred that she’s in a deep depression. He plans to liaise with other doctors and come up with a regime that will suit my mother’s condition.
Meanwhile, I have permission to enter the Covid-conscious, locked down Care Center every day to visit my mother.
Thinking about how best to use that time: read to her (something easy and fun? Jungle book?). Sing to her? Tell her stories of earlier, happier days? I’ll carry photos there too.
If my mother doesn’t revive her interest in living, she will quickly die.
A lifetime in the School of Hard Knocks has toughened me up, but the next weeks will test everything I think I know about who I think I am.


No comments: