Saturday, March 27, 2021

Slowly, slowly...

Blog posting about the pandemic each day for the past year focused my attention on something other than the probability of being infected with Covid-19 and immediate tasks related to my mother and her property.
As we begin yet another year of lockdown, I will blog post, not every day, but several times a week. Turns out, a year-long habit of posting early each morning is hard habit to break: daily posting has been “baked” into my daily routine. I’ll slowly developed a new routine. Meanwhile… yet another post….

News blues…

As the first four million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine shipped in March throughout the United States, experts lauded qualities that make it more practical: Unlike its mRNA predecessors, this vaccine doesn’t require ultra-cold storage and needs only a single dose to protect people against serious COVID-19 outcomes — including, most importantly, death.
These attributes mean it could be more easily deployed to reach communities that have been left behind as an inequitable vaccine rollout has overly favored white people. But there’s a catch. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine has an overall efficacy lower than the other two vaccines that have been authorized for emergency use in the country. And that fact has raised concerns that marginalized communities — including Black, Latino, and indigenous people with the highest risk of serious COVID-19 outcomes and a history of medical mistreatment — would be steered toward the vaccine with the lowest level of protection against severe and mild disease.

Read “The complex debate over how to equitably distribute the different vaccines” >> 
***
Yesterday's post reported 600 new infections around South Africa.  Twenty-four hours later: “SA recorded 1,516 new Covid-19 cases, along with 67 more fatalities"
Let's be careful out there....   
***
***
Down but not out – The Lincoln Project returns with The Donfather Part II  (2:15 mins)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

I’m not a hedge person – that is, under normal conditions, hedge is the last type of vegetation I’d plant. I did, however, inherit healthy hedges growing around two sides of my new home. This means, each time I park my vehicle I look at a wall of fast-growing hedge. Any time I’m in my garden, I look at a wall of fast-growing hedge; ditto, when I’m in my patio/sunroom.
On the plus side, hedge provides privacy and I appreciate privacy. But…
Last week, I solved my “hedge problem”: I decided to trim it into quirky shapes, perhaps a dragon, a snake, or a wildebeest, or curling waves big enough to surf…
I set off to search for an electric hedge clipper. Alas, after visiting all the stores that either sell or rent hedge clippers, I found nothing suitable, Instead, I brought home a pair of manual hedge clippers. (I’m thankful I did not find the “perfect” electric hedge clippers of my dreams. If I had, I’d probably have sawed off a hand or an arm by now. That would have ended my routine of blog posting anything on any schedule!)
After examining the hedges from all angles, I began trimming a small segment in front of my outdoor patio. A curling wave is evident on my side of the hedge.
One dilemma: am I responsible for trimming the other, public side of the hedge, too? If so, can I clip it according to my whim?
Meanwhile, today, weather permitting, I’ll trim another adjacent segment of hedge. Another wave.
Before and after photos to follow…
***
South African days getting shorter while nightfall happens earlier:
Feb 26: sunrise 5:47am; sunset 6:33pm.
March 2: sunrise 5:50am; sunset 6:29pm.
March 9: sunrise 5:55am; sunset 6:21pm.
March 16: sunrise 5:59am; sunset 6:13pm.
March 25: sunrise 6:05am; sunset 6:01pm.
March 26: sunrise 6:06am; sunset 6:00pm.
March 27: sunrise 6:0xam; sunset 6:0xpm.

No comments: