Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Licensed!

News blues…

In the latest polls US presidential candidate Joe Biden leads presidential incumbent Donald Trump 51 percent to 44 percent. https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/presidential-polls
My only comment? How can 44 percent of the United States voting public still support Donald Trump? More than 7 million American infected with Covid-19, and 200,000 plus dead.
It is inconceivable that any human, never mind 44 percent of ‘em, could vote for a man devastating the United States with his lies.
***
The Lincoln Project:
Meidas Touch:
Joe Knows How  (0;25 mins)
Bye Kayleigh  (0:55 mins)
RVAT: As Bill watches Trump dismantle checks and balances across the board, he prepares to vote Biden. (3:45 mins)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Big day: due to pandemic, my car license (“car registration” in US) lapsed at the beginning of May. Allowances were made to accommodate drivers’ lapsing licenses due to Covid-19. I experienced police at roadblocks making gentle suggestions about renewal – “do it as soon as possible” - instead of issuing tickets. (Municipality offices, the police station, too, have shut down several times during Lockdown due to detection of Covid-19 infections among employees. Shut downs last for two or three days while office undergo “deep cleaning.”)
Three weeks ago, I visited the municipality to renew my license. I learned I could get an appointment to renew.
Today was the day, at 11:00am.
I dreaded the visit, largely because the first time I visited that office – three years ago, to transfer my vehicle into my name – it took six visits to accomplish my goal. I’d never done it before, could find no directions on how to do it, and anyone I asked gave conflicting directions. The clerks behind the thick glass were impatient and unhelpful. In short, licensing my car annually has been stressful. Moreover, the transaction is in-person only - no online service and no functional post office to deliver pertinent and timely documents. 

While anxious, I hoped that today’s 11:00am appointment meant a quick in and out – with license in hand.
First surprise: I was fourth to join a line of socially distanced customers seated outdoors under a tree. Within 10 minutes the line was a dozen customers long. We all had appointments for 11:00am.
I tried alleviating my anxiety by reading my Kindle library book on my cell phone. Alas, I reread the same page several times before realizing I was eavesdropping on the conversation among the three people in line ahead of me.
The man dominating the conversation explained he carried vehicle license renewal paperwork for 8 other people… then interspersed his monolog with his schtick of rhetorical negativisms: “how many more years does the white man have in South Africa? He answered his own question: "20? Nah. Less." 
Then he threw in comments about “cannibalism” and how “it is not over yet” ...and followed this up with dour jokes themed on how “they” are “not on the ball”.... that “we will end up in chaos”... how he hoped “we don’t end up like Zim” [Zimbabwe] “but we’re heading there...” After that, he segued to public officials’ salaries. “They [the village mayor] make about R120,000 [US$7272] per month, a million a year” … “for doing nothing, and taking no responsibility.”
He offered insight into how “they” are “talking about taking away/doing away with peoples’ pensions... Oh well….” 

I’d arrived at 10:35 for my 11:00am appointment. I checked the time: 11:30am. I saw no discernable progress getting customers into or out of the office. 

Meanwhile, our voluble companion had moved onto sharing his plan for his old age: suicide. 
He explained he already had the means in his possession: a two-phase poison. “I’ll add it to my orange juice one morning…. No trace will be found which means my life insurance policy will be paid. It’s all about quality of life... I’ve had a good life. I got nothing... so bugger all to lose which is nice... I’ve no medical insurance. Few years ago, I had a heart attack and they took me to Edendale Hospital [a free government-run hospital]. It was like being in the heart of Africa. But they fixed me up. It cost me nothing. And I feel better than ever! Even my eyesight improved.”
11:55am.
Then two of us were called inside the office.

After sanitizing hands, having temperature taken, and filling in personal details and signing the Covid tracing document, I settled in to wait.
Three clerks served a waiting group of 6 socially-distanced customers.
Now the topic of conversation was “that horrible man” waiting in line outside, how he had paperwork for 8 vehicle owners… and how the staff intended to make him wait until the end of the work day (2pm at the municipality)…
Customers who’d experienced “that horrible man” laughed at the notion of keeping him waiting….
Soon, I faced the thick glass window and the clerk. Within six minutes, I paid my fee - no late fee - tucked my paperwork into my backpack, and departed.
Best of all: next year I'll renew my license by August 31 instead of April 30. Six months reprieve.
Bliss. 



No comments: