Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Frothing at the mouth!

No Internet connection since Thursday night! More than 96 hours!
The ISP host came by at 9:30am today, changed the password, and said I’d be up and running “soon.”
In my world, “soon” means within the hour.
In his world, it means … well, I’m not sure.
Around 3pm, I was briefly connected – then shut down again, due to – irony of ironies – a Telkom error message warning, ““your connection is not safe.” (Telkom is the national communications grid. I’d cancelled Telkom landline accounts in this household due to inefficiency and lack of customer support. Alas, my Internet account relies on Telkom. Telkom gets the last laugh.
Yet again, I contracted the ISP host. He responded, “There may be a delay. Please give it another half hour.”
Soon after, Eskom – the national electrical power grid – began load shedding; no electricity for the next 2.5 hours!
This is akin to enjoying a walk when a vehicle veers off the road, crashes into you and knocks you into a ditch, whereupon a giant bird poops on you, causes massive infection that requires amputation of one arm and two hands – and you can’t work on your laptop anymore…. At last, Internet disconnection is the least of your problems!
Is life in South Africa a prescient view of our collective future?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Yesterday, I transplanted germinated seedlings into the garden: peas and pole beans, zucchini, beets, onions, chard. Also planted another batch of seeds – along with parsley and cilantro.
I may not be in this house when the vegetables ripen, but I’ll have the joy of knowing the house’s new owners can harvest and enjoy.
That is, if the monkeys don’t get to the veggies first.
*** 
Harbingers of spring?
Thanks to Covid-19, this my first winter in KZN Africa in decades, and my first winter ever in the Midlands. I don’t know if daytime temperatures reaching into the upper 80s are usual, but I appreciate them.
Summer temperatures in the inner San Francisco Bay rarely reach the 80s. (Mark Twain said, “The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco….”) 
Moreover, masked weaver birds gather in trees and chat vigorously, perhaps discussing pairing off and building nests.
The stream is alive with the sounds of singing insects, and the occasional chirp of frogs.
It’s dry, dry, dry with little sign of rain, yet… is that light, breeziness in the air the beginning of spring?

No comments: