Sunday, July 31, 2022

Oh, no, Joe!

News blues

US President Joe Biden tested positive for Covid – again! This is “likely a “rebound” Covid-19 positivity that the doctor noted is ‘observed in a small percentage of patients treated with Paxlovid.’
Biden has experienced “no reemergence of symptoms, and continues to feel quite well” and will, as a result, not resume treatment >> 
***

On war and culture war

Photos that define the war on Ukraine >> 
***
The Lincoln Project:
Our President  (0:33 mins)
Texas power  (1:34 mins)
Midterm polls  (0:17 mins)
Working for America  (1:26 mins)
Editorial comment: Texas, about 1.8 times smaller than South Africa, shares one big thing in common: neither can supply reliable power to residents.
Trapped (0:57 mins)
Last week in the Republican Party - July 29, 2022  (2:09 mins)

Healthy planet, anyone?

Photo to enjoy our world: "Rush hour in The Wartrail, Eastern Cape” [South Africa]
© Lewis Lynch

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Caretaking Meso Mary is both terrifying – I’ve no training in what to do or how to do it – and challenging – I’ve no training in what to do or how to do it. We muddle along. All the tubes that once penetrated Mary’s left lung have been removed. Now, I simply ensure the wound from the tube removal is clean and healing. And it is. I’d add photos here, but they’re gruesome, and not to everyone’s taste. We’ve joked about explaining her scars when next we go swimming. Today’s story is to the inquisitive that Mary was attacked by a sevengill shark. Not quite as sexy as being attacked by a Great White but more plausable since sevengills offer a better shot at survival than Great Whites. Moeover, sevengills are found in SF Bay, aggressive when provoked, and potentially dangerous to humans. According to the International Shark Attack File, sevengills have been responsible for five documented unprovoked attacks on humans since the 16th century.
Other than that, Mary walks a couple of times each day, is cutting back on her drug regime, naps when needed, and all in all is making a remarkable recovery.
***
Visiting my local Walgreens store for, say, toothpaste or Band-Aids is increasingly frustrating. This because these inexpensive goods are locked into transparent cases. I can see what I want but I cannot reach in and get it. Rather, I must find and ring the bell associated with the aisle then wait for the store attendant to come and unlock the case. Same thing for the next item I want. After two or three such frustrating shopping expeditions, waiting for the attendant for minutes on end, I told the attendants I’d not be returning to shop there. I walked out of the store, and I’ve not returned.
My experience is now a “thing” shared by thousands of others. Here’s why >> 
What a world!

No comments: