Sunday, January 30, 2022

Changes

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Always interested in how regions and communities change over time, I photographed changes afoot in a friend’s city neighborhood.
Background: Last year, while I was locked down in South Africa, the city's original library – traditional, with actual books on loan – was torn down to make room for yet another batch of cookie-cutter single-family homes. 
A new library, under construction across the road, will focus not on books, but on “community meeting spaces”. It will offer computers for members to access the Internet and online services, but the book section will shrink to less than a third of its former space – despite the new library being twice the size of the former building.
While I read a lot, I seldom read physical books anymore, nor would I want to revert to reading physical books. Instead, I download my reading matter from once-traditional now-online libraries. Reading on my cell phone in the dark at 2 o’clock in the morning is far easier than turning on the bedside lamp, sitting up to hold a heavy book, and reading pages of print. Yet, within my chest beats an incongruous  heart that objects to a “library” not offering physical books.
The “places” offering me downloadable books are still public libraries – those of the cities of Berkeley and San Francisco – and their downloadable offerings far outpace the number of books they can physically house. But they do house books which means they still fulfil the definition of “library” – derived from the Latin word liber, meaning "book.”
Perhaps, instead of calling the new building a “library” call it a “community center”, in Latin, a conventu elit, or in Spanish – to reflect 21st century California, centro Comunitario?

Constructing the new residences began this year. First, a model home was built for families to view and, if interested, to purchase a building site upon which to build the house. 
New homes are being built now.
Yesterday, I began a photographic record of this new growth.
I plan to follow up this record when I return from South Africa. 
Future community center aka "library"


Background right, behind pole: The model home upon which
the rest of the residences will be designed.

Future entryway to the community from the street.

Future residential community, formerly a library and parking lot.

 David Bowie: Changes (3:39 mins)

No comments: