Monday, May 24, 2021

Getting there...

News blues

In today’s hyper-capitalist US, if common sense, backed up by stringent science, doesn’t work to convince people to get vaccinated against a too-often fatal malady, then pay ‘em to get vaccinated!
Health officials in Ohio have reported a surge in the amount of people getting their first COVID-19 vaccination shots, a week after Ohio Governor Mike DeWine announced the $5 million "Vax-a-Million" lottery. 
Just days after DeWine said the state would award five vaccinated residents $1 million each in order to raise vaccination percentages, the Ohio Department of Health reported more than 113,000 people received their first dose of the vaccine.
Based on preliminary data, the department said the recent period showed a 53% week-to-week increase (May 13 to 18) compared to the time period before the announcement, where 74,000 people received their first dose (May 6 to 11).
On the other hand, if it works why knock it?
***
Tracking Covid-19:
***
The Lincoln Project:
Last Week in the Republican Party  (0:49 mins)
Their Party (0:35 mins)

Healthy planet, anyone?

A feel-good story from Australia as water returns rivers: After the deluge: Australia’s outback springs to life as mighty rivers flow again 
***

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

After weeks of questioning whether it’s a good idea to ask my son-in-law to caretake my mother’s house and all that that entails while I’m gone, he arrived last night. (He’s never traveled here before. Winter here won’t bother him: he’s from Alaska.)
I drove to the local airport to pick him up. Since I’d not driven alone before to this airport, I used Google maps to guide me…and still I got lost! It’s a left/right dyslexia thing. And, after warning him about not driving along unknown roads on a whim, I drove both of us along an unknown road – for miles. After we consulted Google maps, I righted the car and we arrived home only 2 hours late.
Today we begin his speedy acculturation into life in KZN and how to find his way around after I’ve departed.
That is, if I actually depart. I’m still having trouble with my tickets. This time, the airline claims I did not pay so they can’t issue a ticket. I did pay, last Friday, at about 10:00am (long before their noon deadline). This is the third time I paid for this return flight.
Anyway, after introducing mu son-in-law to Martha (domestic worker) I’m looking forward to introducing him to the local monkey troop, the stream and pond, the dogs, my mother, and whomever I can make his transition easier. He’s excited. I’m grateful.
***
Only four more days of early darkness – then, whoosh, I’ll head back to California – and spring on the river!
Feb 26: sunrise 5:47am; sunset 6:33pm.
March 2: sunrise 5:50am; sunset 6:29pm.
March 16: sunrise 5:59am; sunset 6:13pm.
March 29: sunrise 6:07am; sunset 5:58pm.
April 1: sunrise 6:09am; sunset 5:54pm.
April 15: sunrise 6:18am; sunset 5:39pm.
April 25: sunrise 6:23am; sunset 5:30pm.
May 1: sunrise 6:27am; sunset 5:24pm.
May 15: sunrise 6:35am; sunset 5:15pm.
May 26: sunrise 6:4xam; sunset 5:1xpm.

No comments: