Thursday, February 25, 2021

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Worldwide (Map

February 25 -  112,534,400 confirmed infections; 2,497,100 deaths
January 21 – 96,830,000 confirmed infections; 2,074,000 deaths
December 17 – 73,557,500 confirmed infections; 1,637,100 deaths

US (Map)
February 25 - 28,335,000 confirmed infections; 505,850 deaths 
January 21 – 24,450,000 confirmed infections; 406,100 deaths
December 17 – 16,724,775 confirmed infections; 303,900 deaths

SA (Coronavirus portal)
February 25 -  1,507,450 confirmed infections; 49,525 deaths
January 21 – 1,370,000 confirmed infections’ 38,900 deaths
December 17 – 873,680 confirmed infections; 23,665 deaths

Tracking Covid-19 vaccinations worldwide 

News blues…

Covid-19 can mess with your sleep 
India’s rate of infection and death dropping? Or… 
***
The Lincoln Project (down but not out?) presents The “new” Republican Party  (1:20 mins)

Healthy planet, anyone?

Quirky and cool – creatures of our planet
Magpies 
Amazing animals 
Amazing sea creatures, snakes, and insects 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Yesterday, the gardener and I loaded the “bakkie” with as much scrap metal as we could then I drove it to a local scrap metal yard. The yard I frequented last year went out of business this year and the “new” yard - more established, less “intimate.” The old yard weighed just the merchandise, the team weighed the entire vehicle – twice. I gathered the first load was iron and steel while the second was metal and “other” materials – plastic, wood, etc.
I was paid off – a measly rate but what can a gal do? - I returned home.
Scrap yards do good work (recycling metals) but one wonders how contaminated is the yard itself. And if the business pays health care costs for its workers. Hmmm.
***
February in KZN is “usually” hotter and drier than the early part of summer. Not this year. Rainfall is more copious. This is not good news since, and after 2.5 years of trying to get “someone” to clear the culverts, they are still blocked. 
Before dawn, gale force gusts and heavy rainfall hammered the house. I’m almost frightened to scan the lower garden for fear of flooding. The public / municipal department (that ought to be) responsible for public works continues their abysmal record of public no-works.
I’ll phone the local councilperson – third time - for an update. Alas, I predict he’ll say, “Haven’t they done it yet? I’ll call the person I know….”
***
My mother has two offers to purchase her house. Neither is the desired cash only offer although each offers advantages. Next Tuesday I will review both offers with my mother’s lawyer and decide which is the more advantageous.
I’m “California dreaming”: both buyers are open to negotiating an early move in. An early move in means I/we can move out – and I can return to the US.
Meanwhile, I explore potential liabilities associated with early move-in that could burden my mother.
Is that light I see at the end of the tunnel? Or is it the ominous glow of radioactivity ?


No comments: