Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Hirsute yet?

How’s your hair these days?
Mine is longer than usual, not styled, and driving me bonkers.
Seeking solace, I asked a friend how fares his hair.
“Not good.” he said. “I figured that, since I trim my own beard, I’d trim my own hair. How tough could it be?”
With his thick, curly hair, it was tougher than he imagined.
“Now I know why 19th Century US Cavalry soldiers have the dos they do,” he said. “I look like one of them: short sides, long bangs brushed back from my forehead, long tresses down my back.” (Translation: “Bangs” in US = “fringe” in South Africa.)

Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
News anchor Anderson Cooper tried trimming his own already-short hair. It turned into a hack job … and a news item. 




News blues…

Confirmed cases of Covid-19 infections are surging in South Africa. Today’s total, 73,533, saw an increase of 3,495 cases in the last 24 hours. This repeats an emerging pattern of increase over the past week.
Public health officials see the peak coming in July or August. Most of the increase is coming from just three of the country's eight provinces: Gauteng, the Eastern Cape and the Western Cape. Right now, Cape Town appears to be the continent's current epicenter.”
Yet…
“as the Africa CDC works with countries to increase testing capacity and hotspots in urban centers emerge, WHO officials say there is little evidence yet of an exponential surge in severe cases, or a surge in deaths across much of the continent. They have said much of the continent will see a 'smoldering' outbreak. 
Yet…
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said, “in coming days, the country would see a rise in infections, more people would be hospitalised, and many would lose their lives.”
Getting an accurate picture of what’s what with Covid in South Africa is, well, hair-raising.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

As days get colder, I notice a desire to hibernate.
Each morning I pull off the covers I laid on plants the night before to protect them from frost.
I sit outside in a sunny spot to eat breakfast and acclimate to the coming day.
Sometimes I enjoy a cup of tea with my mother.
Sometimes I drive into the village and run errands.
Sometimes I scoop swamp cypress needles from the pond.
Sometimes I walk around the neighborhood for exercise.
Today, I visited with an elderly friend who has been unwell.
All the while, I’m aware that I’d like to hibernate, not simply stay in bed but sleep, deeply, soundly … until winter is over.


Read   Week 1 |   Week 2   Week 3  |  Week 4 |  Week 5  | Week 6  |  Week 7  |  Week 8  |  Week 9  |  Week 10   |   Week 11  |   Week 12
Watch  Videos of Garden Creatures





No comments: